Getting Started and Working Assumptions

Why a blog?

Well, I've always wanted to write a book. But, currently at least, I don't think my ideas on how theology can and should confront the human sciences add up to create a coherent account. Mostly, I have a great deal of random thoughts that are sprinkled across my research publications, a book draft, my lecture notes, my Sunday School lessons (for the Sojourners adult bible class at the Highland Church of Christ), and e-mails I have written to friends and colleagues. I think that all these pieces could add up to a systematic account. But I'm not sure. So, I'm going to be using this blog to organize my thoughts to see where it all might lead.

I don't expect a lot of traffic on this blog, but if you are here, welcome.

In my attempt to integrate psychology and theology, I'm working from two main assumptions:

1.) Current theological formulations have failed to deal directly with human nature. That is, most theological accounts tend to work with an ancient and scientifically out-dated view of humanity, one based in both dualism and a radical vision of human agency (i.e., free will). Further, current theological formulations frequently fail to provide theological tools regarding the "stuff of life" (e.g., my students and I often stumble across some human trait or inclination, but we often fail to find theological support for how to think about this facet of our nature).

2.) A psychologically responsible theology, therefore, will involve a radical reconfiguration of theology. This blog will attempt that reconfiguration.

Given recent events on the ACU campus, we'll start with the theology and psychology of human sexuality.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

4 thoughts on “Getting Started and Working Assumptions”

  1. I'm subscribing. (I didn't start with this post, but have proked back to it!) I like the clear style, and having done psychology for my first degree find the approach really interesting.

  2. I just discovered your blog and only started to read to your thoughts, but I appreciate it already very much!!! It seems that we have similar goals. At the moment I´m working at the University of Bremen doing a PhD-Program in educational research. There I am focussing questions of learning (more specific: attitudes and contexts of learning), (inter)subjectivity, identity, recognition and power. Before that I have studied sociology, paedagogics and philosophy at the University of Muenster. I see it also as my 'task' to integrate my viewpoint as a christian and my insights from different perspectives of science. It´s always great and very helpful to meet people like you! Thank you for offering your thoughts!

Leave a Reply