And in this myn understondyng was lifted up into Hevyn, where I saw our Lord as a lord in his owne house, which hath clepid al his derworthy servants and freinds to a solemne feste. Than I saw the Lord take no place in His owne house, but I saw Him rialy regne in His hous, and fulfillid it with joy and mirth, Hymselfe endlesly to gladen and to solacyn His derworthy frends ful homeley and ful curtesly, with mervelous melody of endles love in His owen faire blissid chere...
Translation:
And in this my understanding was lifted up into Heaven, where I saw our Lord as a lord in his own house, to which he had called all this dearworthy servants and friends to a solemn feast. Then I saw the Lord take no place in his own house, but I saw him royally reign in His house, and fill it with joy and mirth, Himself endlessly to gladden and to comfort His dearworthy friends full of intimacy and courtesy, with a marvelous melody of endless love in His own fair, blessed countenance...
Pulling from rich biblical imagery, Julian views a heavenly banquet in the Lord's house. There the Lord's dearworthy servants and friends are hosted, and the house is filled with "joy and mirth."
I've just finished my summer re-reading of The Lord of the Rings. And one of my favorite images from Tolkien are those where the travelers come to a house filled with joy and mirth. The house of Farmer Maggot:
The sun was already behind the western hills, and the light was failing. Two of Maggot's sons and his three daughters came in, and a generous supper was laid on the large table. The kitchen was lit with candles and the fire was mended.
Merry and Fatty's welcome at Crickhollow:
Frodo knocked on the door, and Fatty Bolger opened it. A friendly light streamed out.
The house of Tom Bombadil:
The path was now plain before them, well-tended and bordered with stone. It wound up on to the top of a grassy knoll, new grey under the pale starry night; and there, still high above them on a further slope, they saw the twinkling lights of a house. Down again the path went, and then up again, up a long smooth hillside of turf, towards the light. Suddenly a wide yellow beam flowed out brightly from a door that was opened. There was Tom Bombadil's house before them...
It's a quintessentially English image, one that made the painter Thomas Kinkade famous. The weary traveler arriving home just as night is falling. Yellow light twinkling out. A fire within and a meal prepared. In fact, it's the final image of The Lord of the Rings:
At last the three companions turned away, and never again looking back they road slowly homewards; and they spoke no word to one another until they came back to the Shire, but each had great comfort in his friends on the long grey road.At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were singing again as they went. But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor on his lap.He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said.
These are the images I think of when I read Julian's vision of the Lord's house full of joy and mirth. It's how I envision entering heaven.
I turn off the footpath and go through the wooden gate. The stone path leads up to the cottage. The sun has just set. There are yellow lights in the windows. A fire within and a meal prepared. I hear laugher and song on the air. The door opens and light spills out.
And I am expected.

No comments:
Post a Comment