In light of my last post I came up with the following way to express the point I was making.
Jesus said he was "the way, the truth and the life."
For many Christians, where faith has been reduced to propositional assent ("I believe x to be true"), Jesus' claim moves through the following sequence:
That is, we have the following order:
- Truth: I believe in Jesus
- Life: Because of this belief I get to go to heaven
- Way: And maybe, but this doesn't always happen, I'll begin to live more like Jesus
Things go in this order:
- Way: I begin to follow the path of Jesus
- Life: I discover that in losing my life I find it
- Truth: And maybe, but this doesn't always happen, I'll begin to believe the claims about Jesus to be true