Personal Days: Toilet Paper and The Choice Paradox

I had noticed that we'd run out of toilet paper. Driving past Walmart Monday night on the way home from the prison bible study I pulled in to get some. I found the toilet paper aisle. And then I saw this:


There is a whole, two-tiered row at Walmart--end to end--filled with a bewildering array of toilet paper choices. Different plys. Tons of different adjectives for the word soft. Infusions of Aloe and Vitamin E. Quilting and ripples.

Incidentally, as I peered at the packaging for the ripples it kind of grossed me out:


Removes more! I really didn't want that image in my head.

I dialed Jana.

"Hey Sweetie, we were out of toilet paper so I pulled into Walmart to get some."

"That's great!"

"Yeah, but I'm standing here in the toilet paper aisle and there are like 10,000 choices. Is there a brand or type that you usually get?"

"Just get anything that is 2 Ply."

I scan the aisles. "Most of these are 2 Ply. Would you like anything else? Aloe infusion? Quilting? Ripples?"

"Ripples?"

"Yes, ripples. They remove more."

"Just get Great Value, the generic brand."

"That should narrow it down."

I look and find the Great Value toilet paper, thinking my choices are over. But then...


Soft or strong? No!!!!!!!

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

One thought on “Personal Days: Toilet Paper and The Choice Paradox”

Leave a Reply