Prison Diary: The Bible Study

We have a two hour block of time for our study, which goes from 6:30 to 8:30. That's a big chunk of time to fill every week.

The schedule we've adopted is one we inherited from Bob Gomez. Bob was the one who started the Monday night study many decades ago. For years Bob led the study all by himself. Bob's a bit of a hero in my eyes.

When I started Bob, Herb and I all were co-teachers. But with my arrival Bob was soon able to retire. So now it's just Herb and I.

Herb had the seniority, so he became the lead teacher. Which I rest into. I love being second fiddle.

After the reception line welcome Herb kicks the study off with our traditional opening song (a mash up of "This is the Day," "Alive, Alive" and "What a Mighty God"), a welcome, announcements and a prayer. After that Herb moves into whatever material he's working through.

About an hour in Herb stops and hands it over to me. I always start with the songbooks and those hymn sings I'm always writing and talking about. After singing I then move into my material until the end of class.

So basically there's two studies going on, what Herb is doing and what I'm doing.

So what am I doing?

Well, a few years ago after I finished up a study I asked the Men in White what they'd like to study. They said, "Let's go through the whole Bible." I agreed, and the next week we started in Genesis 1.

I wish I had noted the date when we started in Genesis. I know it was over three years ago. Maybe longer.

Right now we're in the Gospel of John, so I expect it'll take us another few years to get all the way to Revelation.

This week the first song called out was "I Need Thee Every Hour":
I need thee every hour
Most gracious Lord
No tender voice like thine
Can peace afford

     Chorus:
     I need thee oh I need thee
     Every hour I need thee
     Oh bless me now my savior
     I come to thee

I need thee every hour
Stay thou near by
Temptations loose their power
When thou art nigh

I need thee every hour
Most holy one
Oh make me thine indeed
Thou blessed son
And our text in John was John 8, the woman caught in the act of adultery.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply