Join My DMin Class on Hospitality at Fuller!

I'd like to make you aware that I'll be teaching a class on hospitality this August for Fuller Theological Seminary's DMin program.

Anyone interested in either auditing the course or Fuller's DMin program will need a theological Master's degree and can contact Debi Yu, the Admissions and Student Affairs Advisor, for more information.  Debi can be contacted at dmin@fuller.edu or (626) 584-5315.

The class I'm teaching is a week-long intensive class entitled "The Call to Hospitality." The course description and learning outcomes can be read here.

As can be seen from the description and outcomes, the class will attempt to connect hospitality to spiritual formation.

Why?

Well, hospitality is hard and hospitality, welcoming and neighboring initiatives often flounder. True, a few passionate souls throw themselves into these efforts, but welcoming the stranger often fails to become infectious and contagious. People welcoming on the margins often feel lonely and abandoned, wondering when the rest of the church is going to show up. I know I feel like this a lot of the time.

In short, you can't just tell people to be more hospitable. Nor can you preach a church into becoming more hospitable. Hospitality has to be cultivated through practices of spiritual formation. Hospitality is a capacity that must be trained and practiced. That's the big focus of my Fuller class.

But if you can't attend the class don't worry, I do hospitality equipping for churches all the time. Just give me a call.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply