Were Not Our Hearts Burning Within Us?

It's a well known story, the story of the walk to Emmaus, the two sad and confused disciples of Jesus who encounter him on the road after his resurrection. But today, something struck me about the story.

After Jesus disappears from their sight, the two disciples say to each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us as he walked us on the road?"

That sentiment--our hearts burning within us as we walk with Jesus--struck me as the quintessential statement of what it feels like, experientially, to be a follower of Jesus.

Seriously, whenever I think about Jesus my heart starts to burn within me. I am totally and wholly smitten. I am, quite literally, in a state of awe. A mix of wonder, bewilderment, fascination and reverence. And it's that feeling--my burning heart as I journey with Jesus--that grounds and tethers my faith.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply