Tired

Yesterday, I spend a good few hours writing a pretty scathing post about evangelicalism and complementarianism, reacting to Albert Mohler's post The Wrath of God Poured Out — The Humiliation of the Southern Baptist Convention.

As I waded into those waters with my rant, I noticed I kept watching my left and my right.

I'd write a line and think, "Evangelicals aren't going to like this bit." And sometimes I'd keep what I wrote, because it felt good to rant and I wanted to jab my finger in their face. And sometimes I'd edit and edit, because I wanted to be heard and for the point to get across.

And then I'd write another line and think, "Progressive Twitter isn't going to like this bit." And sometimes I'd keep what I wrote, because it felt good to rant and I wanted to jab my finger in their face. And sometimes I'd edit and edit, because I wanted to be heard and the point to get across.

To be clear, it was mainly a rant toward evangelicals, I wasn't trying to be moderate. Far from it. Mostly evangelicals were going to be offended. Very offended. But I also think a few things about gender that doesn't fit well with progressives. So it's just very, very hard to say anything anymore without stepping on a landmine. So you try to thread the needle. And eventually I said, screw it. I'm tired.

I'm tired of a lot of things on social media.

And by the time I got to the end of my rant, I was tired of myself.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply