Theological Influences: Rene Girard

Like many, Rene Girard has been a big influence upon me, especially how I read the Bible. I should also add how Girard has influenced me through the writings of James Alison and Mark Heim. Reading a Girard for the first time was a mind-blowing experience.

That said, I wouldn't consider myself a Girardian. I'm not a disciple of the master. That is a thing with Girard, how he's a bit of a cult figure with some. The Sage that unlocks the mystery.

The main place where I differ from Girardian thought is with mimetic rivalry. I just don't place much importance on that aspect of Girard's thought and have never used mimetic rivalry in my own thinking. When it comes to human sinfulness and violence my thinking is more Hobbesian and Darwinian. We tip into the darkness less out of mimesis than from scarcity, ignorance, and fear.

Where Girard has made a huge influence upon me, however, is with his thinking about how human communities create social bonds through scapegoating and how the Gospels unmasked the scapegoating machinery through divine identification and solidarity with the sacrificial Victim.

In short, when I describe myself as having a "progressive revelation" Christological hermeneutic or as espousing a theology of the cross premised on God's divine identification with the victim, I'm usually rooting that in a Girardian reading of the Bible.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply