Post-Progressive Christianity: Part 1, Moving On

I've been increasingly describing my current faith journey as "post-progressive." That's not a label in common use, so I'd like to take some  posts to describe what I mean by post-progressive Christianity. I'm curious to see how many might be attracted to what I aim to describe. As the series goes on, I'd be interested in you making your own contributions to the description, here in the comments, on your own social media platforms, or in your conversations with fellow Christians on this journey.

The reason I'm describing myself as post-progressive is that enough alienation has built up between myself and progressive Christianity that I've come to recognize that when I hear progressive Christians talk I tend to have as many objections and concerns about what they are saying as I do affirmations. In some important way, I've moved to a different location within Christianity and I'd like to map out where I stand in some detail.

Beyond making a contrast with progressive Christianity I find this task necessary for another reason as well. I've shared many of my criticisms about progressive Christianity on the blog and a few readers, in reading these criticisms, have said that it sounds like I'm becoming more "conservative." I get why they think that. When you hear criticism of progressivism that's mostly coming from a conservative person or viewpoint. So it's natural, when you hear my own criticism of progressivism, to assume that I'm drifting back to the "other side," back to conservatism.

But that is not what is happening. I'm not moving back to conservatism, I'm moving on from progressivism into a new, unoccupied space. What I aim to describe is post-progressive, a view still rooted in progressive Christianity but distinct from it as well. I'll make this clear in the posts to come, how I'm still progressive, but have moved on in some important ways. 

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply