I Was Cast Upon Thee from the Womb

I like to do my devotional reading in the King James Version. I was reading Psalm 22, and a line struck me from Verse 10:

"I was cast upon thee from the womb."

Modern translations render the verse very similarly, "From birth I was cast on you" (NIV) and "On you I was cast from my birth" (NRSV).

The meaning of the Hebrew word for "cast" can range from the passive ("left") to vigorous ("thrown").

Anyway, it's strange how a line can interrupt you when reading the Bible, and the interruption is hard to explain since it's an emotional thing, the Word of God and your particular life at a particular time intersect to create an experience. And this experience was just a powerful feeling that, from the moment of birth, I had been "cast upon" God, totally dependent upon God, even when I didn't know or recognize it.

All my life, I've been held by God. As have you.

All of us, cast upon God from the womb.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply