Silence

I've been on silent contemplative retreats before, but I'm not a very silent person. If I'm not talking, I'm reading or writing. My mind is a general buzz of activity.

I recognize the need to quiet that buzz, but more and more I'm praying for more silence in my life for interpersonal reasons.

It seems to be a mathematical law that the more words you say the more likely you're going to say something stupid or hurtful. It's just a matter of volume. The more words the more risk. It's a direct correlation.

Consequently, I spend a lot of my day feeling regret for something I've said. I'm always kicking myself with, "I wish I hadn't said that." To be clear, I'm not a mean, abusive person. But very often, my opinions get too strong, my jokes too cutting, my judgments too dismissive. And sometimes it's just the problem that I need to stop talking and listen more.

And so I pray for more silence, for less words in my life. Less talking, more listening. For fewer, slower, more careful words.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply