Greatness in Wretchedness

I'm reading Pascal's Pensées and much within Pascal is very appropriate for Lent. Here's one of this thoughts:
Man's greatness comes from knowing he is wretched: a tree does not know it is wretched.

Thus it is wretched to know that one is wretched, but there is greatness in knowing one is wretched.
Cheerful thought! But not a bad one to ponder during Lent.

For Pascal, "wretchedness" is simply our situation without God, psychologically and morally. It's no fun being in such a state, morally confused and psychologically unwell, but our awareness of this wretchedness is "greatness" as it is a recognition of our longing and need for God. It's the first step back into the wholeness.

It reminds me of an old hymn we used to sing:
I need Thee every hour,
Most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine,
Can peace afford.
I need Thee, O I need Thee,
Every hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, Savior,
I come to Thee.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply