Psalm 6

"Heal me"

In many Christian spaces salvation is primarily understood to be "forgiveness." Our pressing problem is guilt. 

To be sure, guilt and shame haunt us. But for my part, this understanding of our predicament doesn't cut deep enough. For within myself I sense a great instability. A brokenness, a fragility. A crack. I am weak. I wobble and waver. I am unsteady. Perpetually confused and frustrated with myself. I am not well. Not yet whole and healthy. 

I imagine you sense this also about yourself. If you do, you know the ache behind the petition: "Heal me." There is a tear within us that needs mending, a sickness that needs medicine. A bleeding that needs stanching and a wound that needs stitching. We are ailing, injured, and feverish. And so we pray, with tears on our cheeks: "Heal me."

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply