Who Believe It and Live It

A powerful and famous quote by Lesslie Newbigin:
How is it possible that the gospel should be credible, that people should come to believe that the power which has the last word in human affairs is represented by a man hanging on a cross? I am suggesting that the only answer, the only hermeneutic of the gospel, is a congregation of men and women who believe it and live by it.
In a lecture this last semester I shared with my students, "I hope for the day where, when the world sees Christians coming, they say, 'The Christians are here! Yay! I love those people!"

I pray for the day when our presence is proclaimed "Good News." And this isn't just some vague aspiration, it's personal for me. Wherever I show up, I want that to be Good News, unconditionally, no matter who is in the space. And I push my church to have the same impact. This is the work, and really the only work, that should be occupying Christians and the church right now. 

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply