Wisdom

My Mom and Dad were in town, and before heading out for a round of golf, my favorite thing to do with my father, the three of us were chatting. 

I was talking about giving advice to my college students. I shared that my students often want to ask about if something is "right or wrong." Which is, let's admit, a critically important question. However, I often reframe those sorts of questions, shifting to talk about wisdom. Let's ask if something is wise or foolish. 

That led Dad to ask: "What is wisdom? How do we define it?" To which Mom quickly quipped: "Wisdom is whatever keeps you out of trouble and helps others."

That is a great definition of wisdom!

I'm going to remember that and pass it on to my students. 

Wisdom is whatever keeps you out of trouble and helps others. 

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply