Sanctificetur

In light of yesterday's post I was struck the other day by similar themes in this poem from Czeslaw Milosz. It's one of his last, from Selected and Last Poems (1931-2004):

Sanctificetur 

What is a man without Your name on his lips?

Your name is like the first breath
and first cry of the newborn.

I utter Your name and I know You are defenseless,
since the power belongs to the Prince of this world.

You rendered things created unto the rule of necessity,
saving for yourself Man's heart.

A man who is good, hallows Your name,
whosoever desires You, hallows Your name.

High above this earth of indifference and pain,
Your name shines resplendent.

A note: 
The title "sanctificetur" appears to be reference to the Lord's Prayer. In the Latin version of the Lord's Prayer sanctificetur is translated "Hollowed be" from the line "Hallowed be Thy Name."

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

3 thoughts on “Sanctificetur”

  1. Sublime thoughts in this poem; reminds me of Jason Gray's song, "The Sound of our Breathing."


    Brings up some big questions for us, internally: Do we hallow God's name more in our big, grand worship, or by touching His pain with the pain of touching our fellow man's pain? Which action brings real relief and healing of our own pain?


    Thanks again for pushing me to look in myself and think about what He means to me and the world, Richard. My thoughts from your posts of today and yesterday: http://beingperfectlyhuman.blogspot.com/2012/08/big-god-big-problems-perhaps.html


    What I didn't articulate in that post was the idea of how we need to try and balance the big and small of God in our worship and devotions. The big God demands sacrifice, but the small God begs us for mercy.

Leave a Reply