One Heart

Perhaps my most favorite lines in all of poetry are the final lines from Franz Wright's poem "One Heart":

It is late afternoon and I have just returned from
the longer version of my walk nobody knows
about. For the first time in nearly a month, and
everything changed. It is the end of March, once
more I have lived. This morning a young woman
described what it’s like shooting coke with a baby
in your arms. The astonishing windy and altering light
and clouds and water were, at certain moment,
You.

There is only one heart in my body, have mercy
on me.

The brown leaves buried all winter creatureless feet
running over dead grass beginning to green, the first scent-
less violet here and there, returned, the first star noticed all
at once as one stands staring into the black water.

Thank You for letting me live for a little as one of the
sane; thank You for letting me know what this is
like. Thank You for letting me look at your frightening
blue sky without fear, and your terrible world without
terror, and your loveless psychotic and hopelessly
lost
with this love

 --"One Heart" from Franz Wright's Pulitzer Prize winning collection Walking to Martha's Vineyard

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

2 thoughts on “One Heart”

Leave a Reply