The Credo of Dorothy Day

I recently finished The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day. This has been by bedside reading for many months.

Throughout Dorothy's life leading the Catholic Worker there were three quotations she repeated over and over, over and over. The first was from Peter Maurin, her co-founder of The Catholic Worker. The second was from St. John of the Cross. The third was from Father John Hugo. You might say that these three quotes formed the credo of Dorothy Day:
"To make the kind of society where it is easier to be good."

"Where there is no love, put love, and you will find love."

"You love God as much as the one you love the least."

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

3 thoughts on “The Credo of Dorothy Day”

  1. I believe that we can only love God to the degree that we believe that He loves us and we can only love others to the degree that we believe that He loves them. To tell others to love beyond the degree that we tell them they are loved is legalism. I had my 22 year old daughter to read 1st Cor 13 and put her name every place that it said love. Caiti is patient, etc. She wept because she knew she didn't live up to those standards. I then told her to read it and put God every place it said love; God is patient, God is kind, etc. I then asked her why she expected it from herself but not from God.

    So I would say "you love God as much as the one you love the least, but to the degree that you love the least is the degree that you are loved.

  2. I also love the quote that Dorothy (without much foundation) attributed to St. Paul, and used all the time: "By little and by little, we are saved."

  3. I read Day devotionally as well.  I have posted a bunch before on this but look again on pg. 668.  

    J
    une16:  Frank to meet Peggy at Marlboro across the Hudson...



    June 17:  Mother Teresa and Eileen visited



    June 20: Deposit on Marlboro, new farm...



    There is so much in here like that, stuff you could read right past.  If you don’t already have it may I also suggest “Come By My Light” by Mother T.  Thou art not far from Rome my brother!  Blessings and obliged.   
      

Leave a Reply