The Pope and the Devil

As I continue to talk a lot with people about the devil in light of my new book Reviving Old Scratch, one of my allies in this fight has been Pope Francis.

Liberal and progressive Christians love Pope Francis, but in one of those ironies I explore in Reviving Old Scratch they find themselves divorced from how Francis understands spiritual struggle. Here's how a Washington Post article described the disjoint:
A darling of liberal Catholics and an advocate of inclusion and forgiveness, Pope Francis is hardly known for fire and brimstone.

Yet, in his words and deeds, the new pope is locked in an epic battle with the oldest enemy of God and creation:

The Devil. 
To get a feel for how often the pope speaks about the devil check out this CNN article "Why is Pope Francis so obsessed with the devil?"

(I wrote this post before my interview with David Crumm for Read the Spirit in which David also discusses Pope Francis' affinity for talking about the Devil.)

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply