Journal Week 35: Sunday School Teacher

I grew up going to Sunday School. In the Churches of Christ there is a strong tradition of having an hour-long Bible class along with the worship service on Sunday mornings. For all age groups, from the children to the adults.

I know a lot of faith traditions don't have Sunday School, and that Sunday School is fading in many churches that once had it. But Sunday School remains a vital part of the Church of Christ experience on a Sunday morning.

I'm a Sunday School teacher at my church, leading an adult class called Sojourners. Currently, my co-teacher is Vic McCracken, who is a faculty member in our College of Biblical Studies at ACU.

The thing I love about being a Sunday School teacher is how it forces you to study the Bible. Without the demand to prepare for classes on Sunday, I don't know if I'd have the discipline to study the Bible, at least not like I do now. Fundamentally, I'm a lazy person. I need external structure to be productive. It's one of the reasons I've yet, and likely will never, take a sabbatical at work. If I had huge swaths of unstructured time in front of me I'd fritter away the weeks taking naps, reading books, and watching Netflix.

So I love having Sunday School in my life. And more than the Bible study, sharing life together in that room, year in and year out, is what I think it means to be church. Our class is well named. Through grief and loss, good times and celebration, burials and diagnoses, we sojourn together.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply