Being With Children

Regular readers may remember that last fall, a year ago, Jana and I were helping with after-school childcare at Abilene Christian School. As a wrote about then, that season being with children was very spiritually formative for me.

Yesterday, I was reminded of the impact of those months visiting with the mother of one of the children. She expressed gratitude to me, reminding me that I had taught her son how to play checkers.

I shared how grateful I was to spend time with her son, and all the kids. As I shared last year, being with children teaches you how to be a human being. All children want are presence and attention. And giving those two gifts, presence and attention, trains you in how to be a good spouse, parent, and friend.

Presence and attention are the language of love. And being with children teaches you that.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply