Theological Influences: Stanley Hauerwas

Stanley Hauerwas came along in my life at the perfect time. I was in the middle of a season of doubt and deconstruction. I was reading all sorts of progressive Christian authors sending me the same message, "Keep doubting! Doubt is good! Certainty is bad!"

I get that message, have preached it myself, and see its wisdom. That said, that string eventually plays itself out. Doubt, if you're not careful, eventually becomes disbelief.

So what I was needing at that time of my life, though I didn't know it, was a voice that was brazenly, aggressively, combatively, unapologetically Christian. And if you know anything about Stanley Hauerwas you know he is brazenly, aggressively, combatively, unapologetically Christian. And I found this, and still find it, so very life giving and refreshing.

As Stanley Hauerwas has said, "Jesus is Lord, and everything else is bullshit."

Amen.

To be sure, Stanley Hauerwas has had a huge influence upon my thinking, especially about nationalism, pacifism, and the vital role of the church in forming virtue. And yet, I think the biggest influence Hauerwas has had upon me has more to do with theological attitude and confidence.

Simply put, Hauerwas makes a Christian brave.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply