COVID-19 and Lent

I've seen a lot of people knocked out of Lenten rhythms and reflections because of COVID-19. I've seen pastors and others give the world permission to ignore Lenten commitments because of the stress of COVID-19.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've been grateful that it's been Lent during COVID-19. Lent has helped me during this season--pondering mortality, dealing with losses and restrictions, dealing with disappointment, facing my idols of security and self-sufficiency.

I've been reading Pascal's Pensées, and my goodness, it's the best thing I could be reading, both for Lent and COVID-19. Two passages I read recently that are particularly apt for Lent and this season of social distancing:
I have often said that the sole cause of human unhappiness is that we do not know how to stay quietly in our room.


We find nothing so intolerable as to be in a state of complete rest, without passions, without occupation, without diversion, without effort.

For then we face our nullity, loneliness, inadequacy, dependence, helplessness, and emptiness.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply