Romantic Faith

When I was a child, we sang a song during our weeks of Vacation Bible School, "His Banner Over Me Is Love":

The Lord is mine and I am His
His banner over me is love
The Lord is mine and I am His
His banner over me is love
The Lord is mine and I am His
His banner over me is love
His banner over me is love!

He brought me to His banqueting table
His banner over me is love
He brought me to His banqueting table
His banner over me is love
He brought me to His banqueting table
His banner over me is love
His banner over me is love!
Theses lyrics come from the Bible, the Song of Songs:
He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me is love. (Song of Songs 2.4)
Song of Songs is an erotic love poem between two lovers, but both the Christian and Jewish traditions have also read the poem allegorically, as a love song between God and His people. The children's song "His Banner Over Me Is Love" is an example. 

In Hunting Magic Eels I make the observation that faith has an emotional, even romantic aspect. I was reminded of that fact recently upon hearing a story about the death of St. Thomas Aquinas. Thomas was traveling and seems to have suffered a stroke of some kind. As he languished, he dictated his final theological reflections, a commentary on the Song of Songs. Even St. Thomas, that most logical and rational of minds, embraced the romantic aspects of faith.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply