Growing Into the Silence

Yesterday I shared a poem about my first 24 hours dealing with the silences during the thrice daily prayers with the brothers of Taizé. As the poem recounts, my initial experiences were confronting a noisy mind combined with an acute self-consciousness, watching myself trying to be contemplative. 

But starting the second day, and throughout the week, I slowly grew into the silences and began to anticipate and enjoy them. 

Let me, though, rush to say this. I've heard many, many contemplative types wax on rhapsodically about their experience of silence. But I'm not a silence guy. I'm a thinker. My mind is working on a lot of stuff. Silence isn't my nature groove. So when I say that I began to anticipate and enjoy the silence that's all I mean. Nothing huge, momentous and spectacular. Just enjoyment when we reached that season in our prayers.

What did I enjoy?

It's hard to explain, but starting the second day I simply tried to relax and let my being (my heart, my mind, my spirit) reach out toward God. And eventually, I would make contact. I'd make contact with that Loving Presence. Again, this is every hard to describe. The best Biblical way I have of describing it comes from that line in the Psalms, "In your light, we see light." In the silences I began to see the Light in which we see light. 

That was the joy. This reunion each day.

The silence would begin. I would quiet my chattering mind. Stillness would come. An inner calm. I would reach out toward God. And then...the Light. Like a soft sunrise. And my soul would smile and say, "There you are."

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply