Psalm 32

"when I kept silent"

It is noteworthy that the first sign of the Fall was hiding from God. Shame was the first symptom of our transgression.

Psalm 32 begins with this hiding, the fear of exposure:

When I kept silent, my bones became brittle
from my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was drained
as in the summer’s heat.
The secret keeps takeing its toll. Eventually, confession is made: 
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
The confession brings relief and joy. The catharsis of coming clean before God:
How joyful is the one
whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered!
How joyful is a person whom
the Lord does not charge with iniquity
and in whose spirit is no deceit!
I think it's noteworthy how, in the Old Testament, there isn't a whole lot of metaphysical mechanics involved in God's forgiveness. No great theory of atonement is floated about how God needs to jump through some hoops to remit our sin. All that seems necessary is honesty and confession. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise" (Ps. 51.17). Admitting our guilt. I think of David's response to Nathan's confrontation: "You are the man!" Once David owns his sin his relationship with God is restored. Yes, there are consequences, but honesty mends the relationship.

Perhaps it is that simple. The sin is easily dealt with, but it's the hiding, lying, avoidance, denial, silence and obfuscation that is killing us. 

Maybe all God wants from us is the truth.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply