Reading Revelation: Part 4, A Prison Poll

So, our study of Revelation out at the prison kicked off last night. 

In starting the series, I surveyed four common ways people read the book. These are, as summarized by ChatGPT and edited by me:

1. Preterist:

The preterist view holds that the events described in the Book of Revelation were largely fulfilled in the past, specifically in the first century, during the time of the Roman Empire. Preterists argue that most of the prophecies in Revelation refer to first century events such as the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD or the Roman persecution of Christians under Nero and Domitian.

2. Historicist:

The historicist view sees the events of Revelation as unfolding gradually throughout the course of history, from the time of the apostles to the present day. Historicists often interpret specific symbols in Revelation as representing historical events, identifying them with different periods and figures throughout history. This view was popular during the Reformation.

3. Futurist:

The futurist view asserts that the majority of the events in the Book of Revelation are yet to occur and will take place in the future, often associated with the end times or the second coming of Christ. Futurists interpret many of the prophecies in Revelation, such as the rise of the Antichrist, the Great Tribulation, and the final judgment, as events that are still awaiting fulfillment.

4. Symbolic (or Idealist) View:

The symbolic view, also known as the idealist view, emphasizes the symbolic and timeless nature of the imagery in Revelation, suggesting that it conveys general spiritual truths rather than specific historical events. Symbolic interpreters see the book as describing the ongoing spiritual battle between good and evil, with the various symbols representing universal principles rather than concrete historical or future events.

Of course, people mix and match here. In the Churches of Christ I was raised with a mix of preterist, historicist, futurist, and symbolic readings. Most of Revelation, I was taught, occurred during the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD or the Roman persecution of the early church. Nero was 666. But I was also taught some historicist stuff, that various images in Revelation referred to Alexander the Great or the Catholic Church. The only real futurist view we held, being amillennialists, concerned the Second Coming. Finally, most of the sermons I heard about Revelation set forth a symbolic view, that we, as modern readers, can take from Revelation timeless truths and encouragements. We all struggle to "come out" from Babylons of various sorts. And as many preachers have summarized it, no matter what you think of Revelation, the book communicates one simple message: In the end, God wins.

I shared all these views out at the prison last night. I mainly did so as a therapeutic exercise. Simply appreciating the diversity of perspectives here cultivates some intellectual charity and humility. My way of reading Revelation might not be the only way. 

When the men asked me how I read Revelation I shared that my views are a mix of preterist and symbolic. I think Revelation was written to the seven churches of Asia and not to us, written to encourage those churches to hold fast during the difficult persecution they were facing or soon to face. But I take away from that encouragement truths and hopes for my own spiritual life. What inspired the seven churches of Asia to hold fast inspires me today to hold fast. In this, I read Revelation just like the other New Testament epistles, as letters written to specific churches facing particular problems that I can learn from and apply, with wisdom, knowledge, and care, to Christian life today.

But I then took my own poll, asking the men to raise their hands about which view described how they read Revelation. In a class of about thirty-five, one or two hands went up for the preterist view. One or two hands for the historicist view. One of two hands for the symbolic view. But over thirty hands up for the futurist view. 

Like I said, this is going to be a very interesting study...

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply