Standing in the Right Place

"One is not commanded to be on the winning side, but to be in the right place when the Lord returns."

This is a quote from Daniel Berrigan, priest, poet, author, and activist. The quote struck me because it concisely encapsulates my political vision. As regular readers know, I agree with Tolkien that history is "a long defeat." I'm a political pessimist. As a student of the book of Revelation I don't think history is heading anywhere good. 

That said, politics matters, it makes a difference. And those who take stands against injustice gleam like jewels on black velvet, stars of righteousness shining in a long dark night. We are called to be faithful stewards of what power we have, and in a democracy each of us possess a modicum of political power. We must make that power available to those who are suffering and vulnerable.

So I'm saying it's a balancing act. A difficult one that I've struggled to both embody and articulate. Berrigan's quote gets close to it. Within history, I don't know if winning is a consistent option. And I think a fixation upon winning brings with it a suite of temptations, from hopelessness when you lose a lot to violence when you think the end of winning justifies the means. I'm with Stanley Hauerwas on this point. Winning history isn't our job.

We are called, rather, to simply stand in the right place when the Lord returns. The outcomes are above my pay grade. My location is under my control. Sometimes I'll win. More often, I'll lose. But I can be standing in the right place when the Lord returns.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply