A Singing Faith

This week out at the prison we finished up our study of the book of Colossians. In Chapter 3 we reached a very famous passage:

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Growing up as a member of the Churches of Christ, this was a very important text. We were a denomination that worshiped with a cappella congregational singing. Gospel hymns sung with four-part harmony out of hymnals with shape-notes. 

Sadly, this tradition is fading in our churches as many of our largest congregations have transitioned to standard evangelical praise band services with songs written by Hillsong. Though some churches, like my own, do try to keep in touch with our a cappella roots. Still, our denominational competencies are waning. A generation ago, pretty much the entire student body at Abilene Christian University could sing the four-part harmony of "The Lord Bless You and Keep You." Today, we need to sing along with a piped in recording. We no longer know the parts.

But as I've written about extensively, I'm blessed to keep in touch with my tradition every Monday night at the prison. During our two hour study we start off singing hymns and have an extended time in the middle of the study where we stop and sing hymns. The men in the study shout out numbers in the hymnal and we just go. An old-fashioned Church of Christ hymn sing every Monday night. This is my spiritual happy place, out at the unit singing gospel songs a cappella. This week I just about blew my voice out singing "Victory in Jesus" too loudly:
I heard an old, old story
How a Savior came from glory
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me
I heard about His groaning
Of His precious blood's atoning
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory

Oh, victory in Jesus, my Savior forever
He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood
He loved me 'ere I knew Him and all my love is due Him
He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood
Of course, it's not kosher to call yourself a "wretch" anymore in progressive Christian circles. To which I just roll my eyes. Old hymns like this reach me in a way that is hard to describe. I don't feel like a wretch singing this song. I feel joy. I feel loved. I feel alive.

Anyway, out at the unit this week we lingered over those old words from Colossians: "Teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts." 

Ours is a singing faith. 

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply