"I Will Spit You Out of My Mouth": The Real Lukewarm Christians

When I was growing up, Revelation 3.15-16 was a frequently used text for hellfire and brimstone sermons:

“I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."
This text was used to challenge our spiritual commitment. "Lukewarm" Christians weren't invested, weren't 100% bought in. "Lukewarm" Christians weren't rebels or hostile to God, they weren't cold, but they were slackers. They skipped church. They didn't give. Etc. Etc. Consequently, Revelation 3.15-16 would be regularly pulled out to whip these lazy, uncommitted Christians into shape. 

And yet, that's not what Revelation 3.15-16 is talking about. Whenever this text was preached, no one ever read past Verse 16. Because if you do, the vision of the "lukewarm" Christian becomes clear, and it's not the vision I grew up hearing about. I was told the issue was a lack of spiritual effort, that I needed to try harder. But according to the text, a lack of effort is not what make a believer "lukewarm":
"I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see."
What makes a "lukewarm" Christian isn't a lack of effort or investment. What makes a "lukewarm" Christians is a lack of humility. The issue isn't laziness. The issue is a failure to recognize and embrace our need and dependency. The issue is saying "I need nothing."

What makes you a "hot" Christian, therefore, isn't more work, strain, and effort. What makes you "hot" is recognizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked. What makes you "hot" is the realization that you need medicine for your eyes and for someone to cover your shame. The Christians who step into this neediness, as broken people in need of grace, are the ones who are truly "on fire" for the Lord. By contrast, those who stand before the Lord declaring "I need nothing," as prideful and self-righteous, will be the ones he will spit out of his mouth.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply