Psalm 59

"Our shield"

In Hunting Magic Eels I describe the lorica prayers from the Celtic Christian tradition. Lorica is Latin for “armor” or “breastplate.” As Psalm 59 declares, the Lord is our shield.

Lorica prayers were “protection prayers,” and the Celtic tradition is full of these breastplate prayers, each requesting divine protection from misfortune, illness, injury, and malevolent attack, from both natural and supernatural enemies. 

The most famous lorica prayer is Saint Patrick’s Breastplate:

I rise today
with the power of God to pilot me,
God’s strength to sustain me,
God’s wisdom to guide me,
God’s eye to look ahead for me,
God’s ear to hear me,
God’s word to speak for me,
God’s hand to protect me,
God’s way before me,
God’s shield to defend me,
God’s host to deliver me,
from snares of devils,
from evil temptations,
from nature’s failings,
from all who wish to harm me,
far or near,
alone and in a crowd.

Around me I gather today all these powers
against every cruel and merciless force
to attack my body and soul,
against the charms of false prophets,
the black laws of paganism,
the false laws of heretics,
the deceptions of idolatry,
against spells cast by witches, smiths, and druids,
and all unlawful knowledge that harms the body and soul.

May Christ protect me today
against poison and burning,
against drowning and wounding,
so that I may have abundant reward.

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me;
Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me;
Christ to the right of me, Christ to the left of me;
Christ in my lying, Christ in my sitting, Christ in my rising;
Christ in the heart of all who think of me,
Christ on the tongue of all who speak to me,
Christ in the eye of all who see me,
Christ in the ear of all who hear me.
As Psalm 59 beseeches, "Lord, be our shield."

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply